I absolutely love #AdobongMani with balat. I remember my mom buying this in Unimart. How I would be glued on how the lady scooped up the fried peanuts and place them on a brown paper bag. And then when we got home, my mom would transfer it to a glass container – a reused mayonnaise bottle.
We would have it as a snack or as a topping for Birthday Misua and Kiampung. I’ve tried so many version of it, the sweet and salty kind, the sweet and spicy kind or the salty spicy kind. I have two favorites that I always buy when I see it – the one sold in Unimart and Milky Way’s Adobong Mani with Balat. But recently, Milky Way’s wasn’t so good anymore.
Connor is allergic to peanuts, and my Panget is not fond of it. So it’s really just me that enjoy the fried peanuts – so I just buy for myself. And during this lockdown – I craved for a snack. While my Panget and the kids munched on their chiciria, I was left with nothing to much on. But last week, during a supermarket run – I was able to find raw peanuts with balat! I immediately bought a pack, and decided to give it a try making it at home.
And I did it! I was so proud and happy! I was honestly relieved that I didn’t burn the peanuts! Hahaha.. I put a LOT of garlic before and after frying.
I’m sharing with you how I cooked it.
- Pound some Garlic (I pounded like 2 heads!)
- On medium heat, fry the garlic until medium brown.
- Take out the garlic and set aside and turn the heat to LOW
- Cook the raw peanuts for 10 minutes or until skin of the peanuts turns darker brown
- Keep turning the peanuts every so often
- Before you take the peanuts out, put the garlic back and fry about 1 minute
- Strain peanuts and let cool
- When it’s cooled season with salt (I regret not seasoning enough!)
There you have it! You’re homecooked Adobong Mani with Balat!